Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Both Kinds of Gas are Stinky.

THIS IS AWFUL! I am not at all a fan of this $65.00 tank of gas my Camry requires of me... and its a great car! At least 31 mpg on the highway! But still, I absolutely dread filling up so much, that I almost run out of gas every time I am on empty. This summer, I will be at camp, so there won't be a lot of driving during the week at all, but if I want to come back to CS for the weekend, its going to cost me 1/4 of what I will be making each week.

In the paper this morning there was a link to a website with all the driving myths and facts on gasoline. Here is what I learned:

1) It is better to turn your car off then let it stay idle, if you are going to be idle for over 30 seconds. I always thought it would be better to not have to restart the car...not true.

2) Windows down vs. AC....windows down save more gas only if you are going under 65 mpg. If you go over that, it doesn't really matter b/c the open windows will create a draft/suction effect.

3) Driving over 60 mph decreases your mpg. This stinks. I have a lead foot big time.

4) It doesn't matter what time of day you fill up. And gas prices are apparently more expensive in the summer b/c it is hard to process the oil with the heat. Marvelous.

5) Tires need to be filled up. Air filters need to be cleaned. Junk in the trunk is a bad idea.

6) Accelerating and stopping like a madman is obviously a bad decision too. Take it easy, drive like a grandma, and save money on gas!

I tried all these tips today. It's going to take me a long time to learn to drive slow. I guess in the long run---better to be a little late than to pay for MORE gas AND speeding tickets...and who needs more of those anyways?! I'm already on #4.

No comments: