Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Stroll Through Psalm 16

I think this blog is going to be a lot about dating for a while...that is what I have been learning so much about for the last couple of years...and I want to share this new abundance of knowledge in the land of blogging.

I just got back from Plano, where Tom's parents live. This has been our notorious place of stumbling our first year of dating, so it is always tough to go visit in absolute purity. It was a great trip! We had so much fun finding other things to do other than sit on the couch in the dark watching TV. We even played GOLF. HAHAHA....oh the fun. It was a blast! We just strolled around the course, breaking the majority of the rules (and there are A LOT of rules).

There has been so much sweet victory in us, in terms of purity, and Psalm 16 has spoken quite a bit to my heart...

Keep me safe, O God,
for in you I take refuge.

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."

It is so important to constantly remember that without the Lord, I have nothing! I am nothing! A boyfriend does not take me to a new, greater status. It is in the Lord that we have salvation and grace, and I can rely on nothing else!

As for the saints who are in the land,
they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.

The sorrows of those will increase
who run after other gods.

SO great! How often girls chase after these boys they quickly turn into idols, thinking "they will make me happy." or "If only he would..." When we do this, our emotions/sorrows only increase! How many times I have been upset over a boy not doing what I expect (because I had created an idol out of him and expected perfection and nothing less).

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

Lord, you have set the perfect boundary lines of purity for us. You say not even a hint of sexual immorality. You say to treat all boys as brothers with absolute purity. Your plan is life-giving. Not legalistic or overbearing. Not depriving. My sins deprive me of good. You don't ever deprive me of the things I need. Surely when I follow your plan for purity before marriage, I will have a delightful inheritance with my future husband!

I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.

I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

When my focus is on the Lord, and not on a boy, I am steady. I am at peace. When I am walking in purity for the Lord, guilt does not reign in my heart. I am not constantly worried if I am "good enough." When the Lord is my only God, I am at rest.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,

because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

When we realize His way is the life-giving, abundant way, the joy is incredible! (WAY better than any temporary "happiness" found in disobedience). Can you believe that I have never felt so wonderfully led and cared for by a boy who no longer holds my hand or tells me he loves me? I do! My heart is glad in the Lord. It no longer depends on Tom to satisfy me. My body does rest secure in treating this brother with absolute purity. I don't need the physical affirmation the world tells us we need.

You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Amen! Eternal pleasures....ah.... can you imagine?! I have been FILLED with joy in walking in obedience in this whole strange dating thing. I'm not going to pretend its not hard. Sometimes it seems impossible! Many times I have had to quote John 10:10 over and over and over to remind myself that this way is abundant and not depriving. But its worth it. I promise. The joy found in obedience is unbelievable.

No comments: